Cruz was owed $9.4 million next season, so his release was likely to free up some salary cap room.
The Giants informed Cruz of their decision to part ways earlier Monday.
Cruz, who was set to make $7.4 million next season, was originally an undrafted free agent out of UMass. Cruz took a significant pay cut to return to the Giants past year.
The fans in NY loved Cruz, as his outgoing personality and ability to take over games with big-play ability was key to the team early in his career.
But his numbers dropped after a serious knee injury six games into the 2014 season and he missed all of the 2015 season.
Cruz became one of the Giants' most popular players - with his salsa dances in the end zones and three consecutive seasons of at least 73 receptions and 998 yards. He wasn't the explosive player he had been, and instead of being the star he was the third option in the passing attack. It wasn't that long ago that Cruz was taking the National Football League by storm when he caught 82 balls for 1,536 yards and nine touchdowns in 2011. "He had a career that I'm sure he probably never figured he was going to have and did things and accomplished things that he probably thought he never would".
While Cruz is clearly no guarantee, it wouldn't do the Eagles much harm by signing him to an low-cost, short-term deal.
Adding a veteran like Cruz, who would also bring some off-the-field leadership, could be a route the Eagles go.
The following season, Cruz played well once again.
That year he led the team in receiving yards, and his 99-yard touchdown catch against the Jets sparked the Giants' championship run. Although his 181 carries were the second-most of his Giants' tenure, his rushing total was the lowest of his time in NY. "I think there is still a lot of miles left on this body".
Overall I'd say it's doubtful that Tennessee decides to take a flyer on Cruz.
- Oil Declines on Speculation US Supply Gains Will Counter OPEC
- Manulife Financial Corp (MFC) Shares Sold by Zurcher Kantonalbank Zurich Cantonalbank
- Moscow, Ankara to enhance coordination after Russian airstrike kills Turkish soldiers
- Aussie Banks Hit Back at Apple Over Mobile Payment Dispute
- U.S. judge declines to grant tribes' request to halt construction of DAPL
- Trump adviser Michael Flynn discussed hacking sanctions with Russian Federation
- Newspaper apologises after using Baldwin SNL photo instead of Trump
- 400 whales stranded on New Zealand beach
- Twelve killed in Bali village landslide in Indonesia
- Pats' QB Brady says Super Bowl comeback not his best game