Devos arrived at Jefferson Middle School Academy where she was greeted by demonstrators who kept her from entering the school. They said if DeVos succeeds in her new role then everyone succeeds - including all public schools and teachers.
'Keep giving money to senators and buying your way to the position, ' says another unidentified man.
DeVos, an aggressive proponent of charter schools, was visiting the school for a meeting with the D.C. schools chancellor, In a video clip circulated by ABC 7 News WJLA-TV, protesters blocked DeVos' way as she attempted to use the back entrance.
One male protester was arrested for assault on a police officer, the LA Times reported.
Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser later tweeted about the protest, which was organised by the Washington Teachers Union, saying: "This bears repeating: Protest - peaceful protest - is fine but we do not condone violence towards anyone". DeVos' Cabinet appointment is one of the most contentious in history, following a lengthy filibuster by tireless Senate Democrats and a 50-50 Senate vote that had to be broken by Mike Pence. "We don't condone such acts".
"This nomination is an insult to school children and their families, to teachers and principals, and to communities fighting to improve their public schools", Bennet said in a statement.
Retional Schools Superintendent Mark Jontry believed many would have liked to see someone with more of an education background appointed. Fifty senators voted for her, and fifty voted against her, including WV Senator Manchin who said that DeVos did not have the experience to understand important issues in rural education.
"Great teachers and leaders help make great schools, and I was honored to speak with Jefferson's team about our shared commitment to strengthening public education", she said. DeVos has showed that she doesn't possess even a basic understanding of laws that govern education, including those that ensure students with disabilities get a good education. Public charter schools draw less criticism, but some refuse to follow basic guidelines that ensure adequate education for students. "Please let her in".
The following video shows protesters physically blocking DeVos from being able to go up stairs to enter the school.
- Federal Appeals Court Won't Reinstate Trump Travel Ban
- Android Wear: The bloatware that turned into gloatware
- Yemen withdraws consent for United States ground operations
- Netflix Announces 'The OA Part II' Is Coming
- Bill authorising European Union withdrawal passes Commons
- Old drug gets an absurd price hike to $89000 per year
- Moscow, Ankara to enhance coordination after Russian airstrike kills Turkish soldiers
- 59th Annual GRAMMY Awards Live On CBS This Sunday
- Dont'a Hightower won't visit White House because he's 'been there, done that'
- Border Wall Cost Estimate Soars in Leaked Report