Monday, 20 February 2017
Latest news
Main » Yemen withdraws consent for United States ground operations

Yemen withdraws consent for United States ground operations

09 February 2017

The Navy SEAL raid in Yemen last week had a secret objective - the head of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who survived and is now taunting President Donald Trump in an audio message.

The alleged target of a US raid late last month in Yemen survived the attack, and now he's taunting President Donald Trump in a new audio message. Yemen's decision is a major step backwards for the new president's anti-terror strategy involving more action against terrorist groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda.(ANSAmed).

When the raid was over, al-Rimi was still alive, and on the lam - while one SEAL, 14 (alleged) Al Qaeda fighters, an 8-year-old American citizen, and an unconfirmed number of other civilians lay dead.

The comment was in response to White House press secretary Sean Spicer, who earlier Wednesday said that McCain and others who criticized the raid where doing a "disservice" to a Navy SEAL who died.

Yemen's Foreign Minister Abdulmalik al-Mekhlafi denied reports Wednesday that the country had banned the USA from ground operations against extremist groups after a botched raid on an Al-Qaeda compound last month.

"The government of Yemen reiterates its firm position that any counter-terrorism operations carried out in Yemen should continue to be in consultation with Yemeni authorities and have precautionary measures to prevent civilian casualties", its USA embassy said in a statement.

"The fool of the White House got slapped at the beginning of his road in your lands", he said, referring to the raid on January 29th.

The new revelations cast doubt on the White House's claim that the raid was "a successful operation by all standards".

Several Yemeni government officials said the Arab country had not been appropriately consulted and briefed about the mission, the English daily reported.

"I think anyone who undermines the success of that raid owes an apology and a disservice to the life of Chief Owens", said Spicer.

The Pentagon said that the US forces did find "materials and information that is yielding valuable intelligence".

"From the intelligence we have, conducting a raid was the wrong option and failure was written all over it". The Yemeni government has enough problems without defending their partnership with the United States; they have Sunni extremists in the AQAP network and Iranian-backed Shi'ite Houthi rebels arrayed against them at the same time. "We will not relent in our mission to degrade, disrupt and destroy al-Qa'ida (al Qaeda) and ISIS".

"It was wrong to kill him and the children.he fought the Houthis and did not have any thought of launching attacks overseas".

Yemen withdraws consent for United States ground operations