"In no time, she had us laughing". Tonight, CBS will air a one hour special commemorating the life of Mary Tyler Moore, who only this week passed away at the age of 80.
And Oprah Winfrey reflected on meeting her idol as she shared an old photo of herself and Mary.
With Moore making a name for herself on "The Dick Van Dyke Show", Reiner often anxious that Broadway or film directors would "steal her away". "And she set a tone that said it was OK for women to be happy in their marriage and want children but also have dreams and hopes outside family, to have goals that related to her career".
Mary Tyler Moore turned the world on with her smile each week in her namesake TV show and inspired the women watching.
"I think this is a group that's been largely ignored", Moore explains in the intro to an aerobics-centered video from 1994. While the show mined her bad dates for comedy, whether or not Mary Richards found a boyfriend was never the focus, and honestly, beside the point: She had a great job, a nice apartment, hilarious and irritating friends and colleagues, and an exciting fulfilling life.
"Mary's energy, spirit and talent created a new bright spot in the television landscape and she will be very much missed", added Redford.
Thank you, Mary Tyler Moore, for making us believe.
She wasn't afraid of serious roles. Robert also expressed his admiration for her contributions to television. "It was just very natural for her".
Her legacy will go beyond her starring television roles in the program that beared her name and as a co-star in the 1960's "The Dick Van Dyke Show".
"The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1964, 1966): Episodes "Pink Pills and Purple Parents" and "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" will be screened. "She was THE BEST!" tweeted Van Dyke.
Mitchell said "the path-breaking, all-American single career girl" Moore played was "an inspiration to all of us who broke through in an age when bosses were gruff and women were told we didn't belong in the newsroom".
But the decision to go with the woman who became "just the best" resulted in a sitcom that became "the best five years of my life", admitted Van Dyke.
- Trump signs executive decree against Obamacare health law
- Women's March Spreads from Washington to All 50 States
- Resident Evil 7 Unlikely To Be Released On Nintendo Switch
- Malaysia drops a rung in 2016 anti-graft ladder
- Ranking Luis Enrique's Options to Cover for Barcelona's Injured Sergio Busquets
- Johnny Manziel offers Donald Trump advice on dealing with Twitter comments
- Trump's election win costs Paddy Power Betfair £5m
- Mom, 2 kids missing since house fire are found safe
- Supreme Court rejects Texas voter ID appeal - for now
- Red panda escaped from Virginia Zoo