The deadliest Palestinian attack in Jerusalem in months was all caught on security camera footage, which shows how the driver quickly went into reverse after ramming into the group of soldiers in what appears to be an attempt to strike more people.
"We know the identity of the attacker, and all signs suggest that he was an Islamic State supporter", the premier said at a press conference at the site of the attack in the capital's Armon Hanatziv neighborhood.
Israeli Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told CNN a "group had gotten off the bus and were getting organized with their bags when the terrorist took the opportunity, ramming his truck into the group". After a gap of a few seconds the truck is visible reversing into them again.
The Palestinian attacker was killed by Israeli soldiers during the operation, the source added.
A truck rammed into a crowd of pedestrians at a popular tourist destination in Jerusalem, killing four Israeli soldiers.
Others were shot dead during protests or clashes, while some died in Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip. The injured soldiers were evacuated to the Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem's Ein Karem and to the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem. It is incumbent upon the Palestinian leadership to root out the incitement to terror that continues to spread among its population, infecting its youth with the hunger to destroy Israelis and Israel itself.
The driver was shot dead by other soldiers and one of the tour guides with the group that was hit as the driver reversed back towards the dead and injured.
The occupied Palestinian territories have witnessed tensions ever since Israel imposed restrictions on the entry of Palestinian worshipers into the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in East Jerusalem al-Quds in August 2015.
US President-elect Donald Trump recently stirred fresh controversy over Jerusalem's status by vowing to break with years of precedent and move the US embassy there from Tel Aviv.
The attack comes at a time when the country is in turmoil, just days after Sgt. Elor Azaria was convicted of manslaughter for fatally shooting a wounded - and already incapacitated - Palestinian assailant in Hebron in March 2016.
- Incarceration Crisis: One Killed Every Day in Brazil's Prisons
- Tilikum, orca from BC who killed three people, dies at SeaWorld
- Oil stocks fall but total petroleum inventories rise
- Winston Reid lauded in embarrassing FA Cup loss for West Ham United
- Guardiola: City don't have history like United
- Oil prices steady on doubts output cut will end global glut
- Floyd Mayweather is training Soulja Boy for his bout with Chris Brown
- Lockheed to Build Asteroid Exploration Spacecraft for a NASA Discovery Program Mission
- Jimmy Snuka - Victorious in Court Battle … Homicide Charges Dropped
- Falcon-9 with Iridium satellites grounded by poor weather